Sunday, February 21, 2010

Around the Boards 2/21/10

Today's Question:
Who do you want to win the Olympic Ice Hockey tournament?

With today's unbelievable slate of Olympic hockey, the Jackets Required staff kicks around the simple question, who do you want to win gold? We want to hear from you in the comments section!


Top Shelf:

Are you kidding me? I've been rocking the USA jersey as my desktop wallpaper at the office for two weeks already! Despite Bob Hunters commentary, I don't have a problem rooting for Brian Rafalski, Ryan Suter, or Ryan Kessler as long as they have USA stamped across their chest. Having said that, I don't think they will be competing for Gold. Assuming Canada makes it to the Championship Game, I'll be pulling for our neighbors to the North to win the Gold.

Stick on the Ice:

I want the U.S. to win. During the first round of games, I found myself wanting Canada to win in the first game because of Nash -- and I certainly want to see him do well. But as the second round has unfolded, I've quickly forgotten about my NHL allegiances. I want my country to win. I find it hard to believe that Canadian fans will be cheering for players of other nationalities that play for their favorite NHL teams -- and I don't fault them for that. I will be just as big of a Jackets fan when the NHL resumes, but right now I want that gritty group of American guys to shock the hockey world. True, they have a roster full of NHL talent, but they don't have the marquee players that are on ALL FOUR LINES of the Canadian team - and to a slightly lesser extent - the Swedish and Russian teams. They can win a medal, but it will require plenty of toughness and belief. Who do you play for?!

Pepper Brooks:


First off, I consider myself a patriot who is eternally grateful to have been born and raised in the U.S. of A. I will be rooting for the Yanks in every event that I don’t really know the competitors or only hear their names every four years. Hockey is different. I see these guys constantly and I don’t care what sweater their wearing, David Backes and Ryan Kessler are card-carrying members of the National Douchebag Society. Canadians have been frothing at the mouth for a gold medal on their home turf and I won’t mind if Nasher, Iggy, and Sid the Kid get it for them. The passion Canadians have for their hockey borders on scary, but nonetheless it’s viewed as their game and they want to be the best at it. Knowing how much Canada would enjoy the victory as opposed to the masses in the States, I’m kinda pulling for our neighbors to the north.

No comments:

Post a Comment